Anedoctes And Advice From The Rambler's Magazine, Vol. 2, 1823


I was reading the 1823 issue of The Rambler's Magazine, as you do (yes I'm weird but I can't be the only one who enjoys old mags more than modern ones, or am I? Mmmm), and came across a couple of nice little pieces in the Anecdotes section that made me smile and decided to share them with you. I hope you enjoy them!

HOW TO WIN THE LADIES

The plainest man, who pays attention to women, will sometimes succeed as well as the handsomest man who does not. Wilkes observed to Lord Townsend, "You, my Lord, are the handsomest man in the kingdom, and I the plainest; but I would give your Lordship half an hour's start, and yet come up with you in the affections of any woman we both wished to win: because all those attentions which you would omit, on the score of your fine exterior, I should be obliged to pay, owing to the deficiencies of mine."

Still, a very relevant piece of advice, don't you think? A charming personality, a bright mind and treating women nicely can get you as far as a pretty face, if not further.

MADE UP BEAUTY 

False rumps, false teeth, false hair, false faces,
Alas, poor man! how hard thy case is;
Instead of woman, heav'nly woman's charms,
To clasp cork, gum, wool, varnish, in thy arms.

The more things change, the more they stay the same... makes you wonder what the author would think of so many women getting plastic surgery today...

Further reading:
The Rambler's Magazine, Vol.2