Short Book Reviews: Parola Di Giobbe & Col Cavolo

Hello everyone,

today I'm reviewing two books by two famous Italian comedians. I'm usually not a big fan of these type of books, but everyone needs a laugh every now and then, and they were free anyway as I've found them in my mother's library. Unfortunately I'm not sure if these books were ever translated in other languages, but I hope you will enjoy the reviews anyway. :)

Parola di Giobbe by Giobbe Covatta
Giobbe Covatta is one of the most famous Italian comedians, both in his own country and abroad. He's also one the few who make me laugh, because he's very ironic, intelligent, and doesn't resort to vulgarity and bad words as much as most of his Italian colleagues do, which is something I don't find funny at all. Imo, if you can't make people laugh without being vulgar, then you should change job. However, I was a bit hesitant before reading Parola di Giobbe (Giobbe's Word) because, as the name suggests, this is a parody of the Bible. In particular of the Genesis, Exodus and the Gospels. I find satire on sacred subjects really tricky because, while on one hand it can be amusing and make some people curious to find out more about religion, on the other it can often and easily be offensive. Luckily, this is not the case. Te jokes were funny (even though some of them quite predictable which lowered the rating down) in an innocent way that didn't show any disrespect for the subject. Its aim is to make people laugh, not scandalise or offend. Throughout the book, you can also find some drawings to illustrate some of the funniest jokes. Overall, a nice way to spend an hour or two.
Available at: ibs.it
Rating: 3.5/5

Col Cavolo by Luciana Littizetto
Luciana Littizzetto is an ex-teacher turned comedian. I never liked her much because, even though a lot of her satire is quite intelligent, her jokes are usually very vulgar. In Col Cavolo, which is a colloquial expression used to refuse something, Littizzetto explores all aspects of relationships, such as the first dates, holidays together, moving in, the friends of the couple and lots more. While I like the concept, the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The jokes are all very predictable and, even though I really laughed out loud a couple of times, I pretty much kept a straight face for the rest of the book. It is basically full of the old, trite stereotypes associated with relationships, and like that wasn't enough, they are narrated in a way that's often vulgar. It was really hard to give this book a rating because we all have a different sense of humour and what one finds offensive or vulgar, someone else may find hilarious and, overall, I was expecting much, much worse as she's usually a lot more foul-mouthed. In the end, I decided to give it a 3 because it's a harmless read that I'm sure Littizzetto fans will love. But I'm not sure it will gain her new ones.
Available at: ibs.it
Rating: 3/5

Have you read these books? If so, what do you think of them?