Classic Books: Watership Down & Alice's Adventures In Wonderland And Through The Looking Glass

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all having a wonderful day. Today I want to share with you my impressions and thoughts about some very famous and still popular classic children's book. Let's get started:

Watership Down by Richard Adams
I had put off reading this book for the longest time because I thought it'd be quite boring. How interesting can a story about rabbits be after all? Very, as it turns out. Knowing their warren is about to be destroyed, an adventurous group of rabbits decides to flee and look for a new home. During their journey they will have to face all kinds of dangers such as predators, diseases, men and even other rabbits who have decided to bargain freedom for safety. The characters are rich and I love how Adams has given them their own culture, traditions and even language, yet they retain their animal characteristics. This leads to interesting analogies to human life and really makes you care for the characters, yet you never think of them as humans. They are rabbits and they remain rabbits. Watership down is a story of survival, perseverance and friendship that's a joy to read. But you have to hang in there at first. The book starts quite slowly, which tempted me to put it down a few times, but I'm glad I didn't because after the first few chapters it really picks up speed and you'll fall in love with the story. I highly recommend it to everyone, children and adults alike.
Available at: amazon.com
Rating: 4/5

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland & Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
Who is not familiar with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? I loved the Disney movie when I was a child. It was one of my favourites and I've lost count of how many times I watched it. It was only years later, when I was in high school, that I decided to read the book too, and I loved that even more. We all know the story. Alice sees a white rabbit and down a hole she goes. She'll then live some amazing adventures in a magical world of wonders. In Through The Looking Glass, which is a darker, less known book, Alice passes through a looking glass and find herself in the backwards world on the other side. You'd think that Alice has gotten used to these adventures but no. The sense of wonder is still present as she tries to figure out the worlds she has suddenly found herself into. They're both charming books full of wit and great humour, although I missed a lot of the puns the first time I read them. You need to reread these a few times to fully understand and appreciate them. Just don't expect them to have a clearly though-out plot. These are clearly meant to be dreams, to capture the readers' imagination and they do so wonderfully. I recommend these to everyone, but especially adults as they'll be able to understand the humour better than children.
Available at: amazon.com
Rating: 4/5

Have you read these books? What do you think of them?